Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fitting Time for a Fit

Just a side note: I have always automatically assumed that almost every person that reads my blog is a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. I have never hesitated to share my testimony or experiences of my faith because it is the very substance of my life.  I have never felt a need to explain the terms I use because I write for my children and they obviously know LDS terminology.  Now that I have finally started fresh, I decided that I will do my best to always link LDS terms to an accurate explanation. Also, if you are not a member of my faith you can find out more about Mormons by clicking the first link on my sidebar and you can also see my "I am a Mormon" Profile here.

Ella had a fit last night. One of her best I'd say. Scott came in from bishopric meeting and Kaden came in from scouts and I was ready to be done with the day, so Scott took Ella to bed and I stayed up to have scriptures with the big kids.

I wish I could say that our evening scripture read is lovely. But a lot of the time it isn't. Each kid reads a few verses and then Scott and I read a few, we have prayers and we go to bed. I'm not kidding when I say, that who ever isn't reading, is usually talking, asking me a random question, goofing around, sprawling out on their head, making noises or making faces to get the others laughing. And Ella, oh my Ella, she dances on the table and basically swings from the rafters.

But other times it is lovely.

Last night, before we started the kids realized how close we are getting to the end of the Book of Mormon. A feat we have never accomplished yet as a family. Each kid took their turn reading and then me. Brylee was tucked up in the corner of the couch resting her pretty chin on the back of her hand. Kaden was shirtless, as he almost always is at bed time, stretched out using the coffee table as a footstool and Branson, my needy little man, was curled up on my leg, his brown head resting in my lap.

After we read Branson asked me,

"Mom, how do we know that Satan is real?"

I quickly flipped my book over to Joseph Smith History and read out loud to them the account of the first vision.

They listened intently. They asked sweet heartfelt questions. I shared with them my testimony. Right there in the family room, that was still a bit scattered with toys, there was a thickness. A happy warm thickness that we could all feel. I tucked them all in, with a hug and decided to let Scott keep snoozing away with Ella on her little flower bed.

I went to my room, so thankful for the scriptures, for Joseph Smith, for my faith. And especially for Ella's fit, that got her sent to bed just in the nick of time.