Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Blessings Part 2

Times change, years speed by; but Christmas continues sacred. It is through giving, rather than getting, that the spirit of Christ enters our lives. God still speaks. He prompts. He guides. He blesses. He gives.Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than things. Christmas gifts become Christmas blessings.
-Thomas S. Monson


When the twins party was over at the school we sped down the road to Grandma's house. It was "Cookies with Grandma" day and we were a little late. Grandma started doing this crazy, cookie-frosting-sprinkles-free-for all afternoon when there were only a few little grand kids. She did this so us Moms could have a few hours to wrap up any loose Christmas odds and ends. I can not really say how valuable that time has been to me over the years. But like I said, it began all those years ago with just a few....



Now there are 18 of these little "helpers" and those two in the picture, kinda don't help much at all anymore. But-they still LOVE to be there. Grandmas kitchen looked like a Christmas bomb full of flour, sprinkles and frosting had hit it at point blank range.



The next day my own Mom took my kids for the morning which was beyond helpful and I headed back to Scotts Mom's to finish a few things. I found her in the perfectly clean kitchen-it was like a crew of merry maids had come in and transformed the place for a sizable paycheck. . Only I know there was only one maid and I know there was no paycheck. Grandma had a brace around her neck, to alleviate the pain of two bulging disks. When I walked in I said,

''Oh dang, is your neck hurting today?"

She responded that it is always hurting. But I know it was hurting a little bit more, from all the cookie baking and all the clean up. Maybe a lot more. How thankful I am for the amazing Grandma's that my kids have and the willing sacrifice that they make for me and my kids.

My kids Christmas is always made just a bit more magical by their kindnesses-and mine is too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment