Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Blessings Part 3

Times change, years speed by; but Christmas continues sacred. It is through giving, rather than getting, that the spirit of Christ enters our lives. God still speaks. He prompts. He guides. He blesses. He gives.Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than things. Christmas gifts become Christmas blessings.
-Thomas S. Monson


So right after "Cookies with Grandma", I brushed my hair and wiped the frosting smears from off of my shoulder and then I left for a little get-together that I had been looking forward to for weeks. My old primary and young women's friends were meeting up. Friends I hadn't seen in more than a decade. In fact it had been a good 13 years.

When I came through the front door of my friends Mom's house, (a place I spent many childhood afternoons) I hugged my dear old friends, and it felt like being welcomed home again after a long, long time away.

3 hours of visiting, catching, up, remembering, laughing and talking went by in a flash and far too soon- it was time to say good-bye again.

When I drove home through a drippy winter rain, I felt so thankful for these old friends. Friends that shaped my childhood and filled my early years with good memories-memories that still warm me up to this very day. I realized that the best part of the place and the people where I grew up- is that no one is trying to impress anyone else. Everyone loves you for who are, not what you are wearing or what you have or what you drive or where and how you live-in fact they don't even care or notice that stuff.

I loved this low key get together more than I can say. My soul need it. No one needed any pomp or circumstance, fancy table decorations, or new outfits, we just needed each other.

It was heart and soul good and I cant wait to do it again.

to bad this was taken after several friends had left

Love you girls! Thanks for the fun, it was a true "Christmas Blessing" for me!

2 comments:

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

the best part of an old friend is that familiar feeling-like no time has passed. I'm so glad we all got together!! It was so good to see you :)

kellibattraw said...

It was a blast! It's amazing when you get together with old friends and it feels like you never left them, isn't it?

Post a Comment