Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dad

When I was little, we lived in a really tiny house. The Kitchen was tucked back on the far right side of the house and was fairly closed off from the rest of the rooms. Every once in a while, late at night when the house was all dark, my Dad would turn soft music on the radio, scoop me up without a word, carry me to the kitchen and rock me back and forth in his arms. I can remember wrapping my arms around his neck and resting my chin on his shoulder. I can remember knowing with out a doubt in the world, that my Dad loved me.


When I got bigger I was very busy with sports. Sometimes I was playing on 3 different teams at a time. I was the 3rd of 10 children and during those years, my parents still had a bunch of little ones running around and I am sure they were up to their ears in busyness. But more often than not when it was my turn to bat, I would look out and see my Dad sitting off to the side watching me play. And I can remember knowing with out a doubt in the world, that my Dad loved me.

When I was busy with college and dating and working, I was in and out of the house so much that I was rarely home for conversations or meals. Every now and then, I would get in my car to leave and I would find that a package of my favorite cookies was on the seat and my gas tank was filled up. There was never a note or an explanation but I knew with out a doubt in the world, that my Dad loved me.

When Scott went to my Dad to ask if he could marry me, my Dad gave his approval but looked to the floor and whispered, "Do you know that you are taking my Sunshine away?" Scott and I still talk about that conversation and when we do, I know without a doubt in the world, that my Dad loves me.

In fact, I can not remember a time that I wasn't sure that my dad loved me. He is not an "I love you" sayer, he is an "I love you" doer.






















Happy Birthday Dad.
Love,
Julianne

5 comments:

Katie said...

What a sweet tribute to your Dad. Happy Birthday to him!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

that was so sweet!!!

Freedom Team Financial said...

Ohhhh, I love good Dads! I love that you say he is a "I love you" doer, that is awesome!

Kenyon said...

Ooops, that was me, Kenyon :)

Kenyon said...

Ohhhh, I love good Dads! I love that you say he is a "I love you" doer, that is awesome!

Post a Comment