Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Double Cherry

I need to interrupt my "Christmas Blessings Posts" for a minute, because I am sick of them and because I have some other things that are starting to crowd around in my heart begging to be let free into the open space of writing.

Yesterday was a good day. I got through my chores, did the shopping, had a quiet cartoon lunch with Ella, rocked Cali and had dinner in the crock pot by 10 am. After school the kids did their homework nicely, even Kaden-which is rare.

When Branson's scouts ended at 6:30 Kaden and Scott left for their stuff down at the church. Cali and I were cleaning up dinner and Ella was settled into a pile of "pretties" lost in her own world of sparkle and glitter and bling. Branson and Brylee came running into the kitchen asking to "borrow" my camera.

"Why?"

I said.

"Because, you know how Ella loves little ponies, well we want to make her a little ponies movie."

I lent them my camera and went back to my work. In a few minutes I could hear their "film production" in full swing so I went in to get a peek. All the little ponies were spread out on the floor and the twins were busy coming up with dialogue and a plot and specific lines for each "star pony". I liked how they picked Ella's favorite ones to have the really important lines. Heck, I liked that they know which ones are Ella's favorites.

I could see that tender, sweet twin-magic happening, where Brylee and Branson start acting like a little old couple that have been married for 67 years. They get into a sync and seem to become more like one whole instead of two separate parts. It is one of those things that makes my life feel charmed and magical.

After scriptures I tucked them in and thanked them for being so nice and thoughtful toward Ella. How lucky she is to have them adoring her constantly. (and teasing occasionally) I was awakened at 2:34 in the morning by the sound of little voices and the glow of a head lamp in my room. I adjusted my eyes enough to see the twins standing at the foot of my bed. I sat up and asked them what was going on. Branson quickly said,

"Sorry Mom, I had to wake up Brylee because I had a bad dream and I couldn't sleep."

I mumbled to them to get pillows and blankets and to sleep on my floor. In the morning, I found them huddled together under one blanket. How thankful I am for the day that we saw those two flickering heart beats on the screen. How thankful I am for everyday since.

...So we grew together
Like to a double cherry, seeming parted,
But yet a union in partition,
Two lovely berries moulded on one stem...

with two seeming bodies, but one heart
~William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment