Thursday, January 19, 2012

More than Many Sparrows

Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows. Luke 12 6-7


By the end of the first semester I was convinced that something needed to be done. When it came to school, Kaden was in a constant state of anxiety. He had a far more difficult time adjusting to middle school than I thought he would. We were both caught off guard and when we got over the shock we were already playing catch up. Kaden has always been super smart but easily distracted and this frustrating little tendency shot off like a rocket with the start of the school year. His body was in class but he was actually swimming in the ocean, doing magic tricks, playing football or planning the next "Myth Buster" myth. After school he would stare at me blankly when I asked about homework.

I was desperate to help him. I was emailing teachers almost daily, we were staying up late figuring out homework, I was driving up to the school to pick up and drop off papers but most of all- I was praying. Praying for answers.

I talked to friends with similar problems. I read everything I could find on the Internet. I even made a doctors appointment that was good, but left me with a slight uneasy feeling that I couldn't put my finger on.

Now we are into a new semester and things seem to have calmed down a bit for Kaden. He has a set of new teachers that have been better and he has learned a few coping skills. We finally got him his own bed, it's only a small little space but it's something that he can call his own. I also cleared an entire book shelf for him. I added a soft mattress topper to his old worn out mattress. I bought him new pants for school that are "cooler" than his old ones. My Mom got him a fancy new pair of Nike's that he loves and all of those seemingly little things have added up on each other and helped.

But I feel like in the last couple of days the final piece of the puzzle fit together in yet another small miracle, bringing a simple answer into full view. The first night that Kaden crawled up into his new bed, he asked for a book to read. His high loft bed seems the perfect nook for reading and I think he felt it. So I passed him a book and felt glad that he is once again voluntarily reading. Then the next night when he asked for his book I felt something. A little idea moved clearly into the spotlight of my mind.

I handed him up his scriptures and said,

"One chapter of this first and then I'll pass up your dragon book."

In 15 minutes, I came back in to find him still reading his scriptures and so the next night I did the same thing. Then this morning during my own early morning scripture study I read this,

"And it came to pass that as he read he was filled with the spirit of the Lord."

A tiny little verse, that I knew was a message from Heaven, meant just for me on this exact day.

I am sure of it.

I am also sure that there is still plenty of work to do. I am sure that there will still be late night filled with homework. I am sure I will still be emailing teachers. But I am sure that this is the answer for my boy. I am sure that Heaven knows him.

And I am sure that Heaven knows his mother.

How I love my Kaden Boy.

by robin lee


No comments:

Post a Comment