Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Outside Therapy

Starting Sunday night I wasn't feeling good. My back was achy, my finger was  throbby and as it turns out, I might be teething because the very back of my mouth was hurty. I have been feeling just plain run down.That feeling has lasted all these days later and this afternoon, I felt like I couldn't go on. I thought of my mountains and all the sweet relief that they offer, but knew that there was no way to pull off a hike in the middle of a Tuesday.
But, I had to seek relief, so I picked up Cali, got us a blanket and told Ella to gather a few books. We laid in the front yard for a long time. The fresh air felt like new life and the sun was just warm enough to toast my back but not enough to make me hot. Cali crawled around sampling the varied tastes of rocks, dirt and leaves and Ella "read" me her books.



































I closed my eyes and let the breeze gently blow through my hair, I listen to the sounds of airplanes and birds and I tried to feel how my lungs were breathing in that delicious Arizona-in-the-winter time air. Ella's cute little 4 year old voice was soothing and Cali's wispy hair looked like spun gold in the sunshine. The sky-oh my goodness the sky was blue as blue comes and as I laid there quietly taking it all in...I started to feel cleansed and renewed and recharged.

Outside..I tell ya-it's good medicine.

Pretty soon I could hear the distant sound of a diesel engine and then it came closer and dropped off my big kids. They all came running to join us. Kaden scooped up Cali like she was the last drink of water in the desert and that's when we declared it to be...





































"Homework outside day."





























Spelling and Math become far less irritating in the lawn on a beautiful day than they are cooped up in the kitchen. By the time we finished I was ready to face life again. It may not have been a hike but it turned out to be just what I needed.




































Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

1 comment:

Jedidiah said...

you can tell Brylee is really concentrating from the way she sticks her tongue in her cheek

Post a Comment