Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Going Barefoot

For all the angst I felt over the last month these past few days have been pure good. It's like I traded in anxiety and frustration for peace and steady progress. It's funny how life can feel so awful and then when you fill it with what you know id right and good....things get better.
What is right and good for me is dirty, bare feet. Like Tom and Huck.

I love a good set of played on, dirt covered feet. It's a perfect symbol of carefree childhood. On Sunday my good friend, whose "baby" is nearly a full grown adult now came by and asked to borrow some children. She was making and frosting a big batch of sugar cookies and who can do that, with out a kitchen full of kids?

The twins hopped up and volunteered their cookie making services and ran out the door with no shoes. My friend looked at me and said,

"Do they need shoes?"

I just said,

"Na."

And off they went. Then yesterday, I walked into pack night at our church, just three doors down and saw Branson sitting with his Bear den. I could see all the way from my spot in the back row that he was shoeless. I leaned over and said to my friend,

"Uh-oh, Branson isn't wearing shoes."

She responded,

"It's OK, your kids never wear shoes."

Well it's OK with me. OK with the rest of society is questionable. It's just that I am quite certain that there will be plenty of days up ahead for shoe wearing and seriousness and stress and anxiety for my kids. But for now, I am just so glad- when they have a few precious hours of each day to be barefoot.

I mean really, wouldn't you love to have nothing more to do, than play outside with bare feet? They only get to be little once, ya know.


If I had my life to live over I'd like to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual trouble, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have. If I had my life to live over, I would start going barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds, I would pick more daisies. ~Nadine Stair

2 comments:

stacy said...

i love those bare feet too! i grew up barefoot!!! in fact we were called the barefoot madduxs! my 2 oldest always have shoes on and i can't even get tristan to wear flip flops...it drives me crazy! my 2 little girls and i NEVER have shoes on and our feet absolutly look like it (soooooo nasty). i love that every time your big boy makes his way to our house he never has his shoes on, i don't know why i'm surprised every time! hahaha! FYI my car STUNK so bad last night from a hundred stinky boys YUCK!!!! and they seriously said the grossest stuff i mean i was shocked, not your boy though he just laughed...mostly at my reaction i think! :)

Brianna said...

I love that quote!

Post a Comment