Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ella

Last night Ella fell asleep in my bed. A little while later, I scooped her up and took her into the bathroom. I shimmied her pants down and stuck her limp, sleepy body up on the potty. Then I started coaxing her to go. With her eyes pinched tightly shut, her torso leaned forward and her face up to the ceiling she yelled,

"No, take me to bed!"

And when I say yelled, I mean the girl let loose and hollered out to the world. I kept coaxing and begging but she kept those eyes completely shut and just kept on a shouting.

"Leave me alone!"

"Put me to bed!"

"I'm never, NEVER going potty!"

At this point I was near hysterics. This was pure hilariousness to me. How can a little person, mostly asleep, assert herself so forcefully and hold in her business all in an act of sleepy defiance, like it's just another days work.

I tried once more,

"Please go potty Ella and then you can go to bed."

This time she didn't yell, her eyes were still shut and she laid her head down on her knees, folding herself completely in half on the toilet seat and said,

"I am going to hit you in the morning."

I lost it. I swear this may have been the single most comical event of my entire Mothering. It was like she was saying,

"I am going to get you for this, but I am just too tired to deal with it right now."

I surrendered in a heap of laughter. She had won fair and square and I tucked her in with a kiss on the cheek.

Last general conference Neil L. Anderson quoted Rachel Jankovic when he said,

"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do it you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for."

I love that quote it's awesome, but lucky for me Ella is cuter than stamps and funnier too.

3 comments:

Kirsi Anne said...

Greatest thing I have ever heard. :))

Jody said...

That's one of the funniest things you ever written about, honestly. Just because I can totally see her doing that. What a cutie. ;)

~ Sara Ann said...

I am laughing SO HARD!!!!!!!! I love that little Ella bug. <3 How's Jamie doing? I've been praying for her since I read your post. xoxo

Post a Comment