Friday, May 11, 2012

Best Neighbor Award




































The house across the street from us was empty for a few years. I hated it. Vacant houses are no fun to have next door and I wanted a neighbor. So I prayed quiet little prayers for that exact blessing.

Then in January of 2008, I was sitting in my lawn chair, holding my baby and watching my two- half day kindergartners ride their bikes, while we waited for the bus. It was a normal day except the empty house next door had a moving van in front of it. And..Glory be, what looked to be a Mother in a BYU sweater was unpacking!

Oh hallelujah! My prayers had been answered!

That mother brought with her, a husband, plus 3 kids and one more on the way and I can remember thinking that she was SUPER worried about how my kids road their bikes out in the street and even more worried that hers were doing the same!

Since that day, I don't think that there have been more than a handful of days in my life, that Anna hasn't been a part of. I could have never known at that first meeting, that not only had I been blessed with a neighbor, but the best one in all the world. I am still adjusting to the fact that Anna does not live a few steps away any more. I miss her everyday.

A few weeks ago, while I was in the middle of packing, Anna came to the door and asked to borrow my crock pot. A little while later she brought it back full of food, she set it down and plugged it in and then put a salad in my fridge. That sweet act of kindness is just one among countless others that Anna has selflessly offered to me and my family over the years. It is a pefect example of the kind of person she is.

I am convinced that no matter where we go, or where we end up we will never have neighbors quite like Anna and her family. Anna has been more than a neighbor, she has been a friend, and a sister, especially when my own sisters have been far away, both physically and mentally. I have relied on her so much and I will always thank heaven for the day she arrived here in my life as a answer to my prayers.

And every chance they get, our kids still ride bikes in the street.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I have only known Anna for a very short time but I already love her to bits! I'm so glad she was the answer to your prayers!

Shelley said...

Awww... I love this! She really is amazing!

Post a Comment