Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tender Mercies-Catch Up Edition

Oh boy am I behind. I miss my blog and I cant wait to get my life back next week and start writing again. Our house!! Our house is on her way to finished! We are counting down the hours with blasting excitement. One week from now and we'll make our move! I am not sure when I have ever been more thrilled and relieved and joyful and giddy at the prospect of going home.



























A few tender mercies to catch up...

After spending the last two months teetering on the edge of discouragement and tears and frustration,  over all the inconveniences and sorrows that life loves to poor into our laps, I at last feel the warmth of hope starting to shine over me. I have loved the scriptures for as long as I can remember but I tell you what, never more than recently. Instead of spending any available quiet time reading blogs or trying to fit in a lovely little nap, my desperation has nudged me to read instead. The scriptures are a gift that can be opened over and over and I am so thankful for them.

If I could give any advice to a new Mother it would be to have scripture time with your children. Even when they are...lets see...

Standing on their heads.
Fighting with each other.
Making fun of the way someone pronounced a word.
Falling asleep.
Making faces at you when your not looking.
Producing bodily noises in the middle of a verse.
Pretending they are about to wet their pants.
Jumping on the couch.
Crying.
Slithering off the couch like a snake in an attempt to get away.
Refusing to even come.
Complaining.
Saying "hurry up this is boring" just as you tear up at a really good part.

Even when your husband cant be there, even when you would rather poke your eye out than gather your bunch for reading together, even and especially when you have decided that it isn't working.

It is! After years and years of trying out dozens of scripture time methods we have finally hit pay dirt. 6 am scripture time is my favorite time of the day. Gone (for now) are the days of Scott and I playing rock, paper, scissors,  to see which one was stuck with the dreaded task of scripture time with our monkeys and which one got to put the baby to bed.

A few things that have worked if I may. I decided that scripture time was not reading lesson time. For now there is one reader. ME. No more, "I don't know where I am" or "my part is too long" or 20 second-word-sounding-out stalls. I am the reader, they are the listeners and for now that is what works.

Also, we changed from night to morning. I lost the help of Scott because he leaves so early but lets just say that I am a much better Mother at 6am than I am at 9pm. By nine,  I am just hanging on for dear life. I start morphing into a scary version of myself. Heaven help us it's not pretty. I think the other benefit of the morning is that the kids are more docile. I love how they are all wrapped up in their blankets with their bed heads and bleary eyes sneaking out the top.

My hardest kid to get going is Kaden, so I wake up the others and we all gather around his bed (couch) and read right there.

Yesterday we read a verse about sheep with out a shepherd becoming lost and scattered. I explained and asked them who they thought our shepherd was. They all knew the answer and understood the symbolism and then Branson said,

"Mom, why don't they just build fences?"

It was so cute and gave me the perfect chance to talk about our "fences". Prayer and prophets and scriptures and temples. Be still my heart it was good. Maybe our recent success with the scriptures is even sweeter since all of those "even if's" I listed earlier were frequent realities for a long time. I can sorta laugh at all that monkey business now. Sorta.
























Grandma Mag is always a tender mercy for me. During a particularly trying moment a few weeks ago I decided that if I could just get to the temple I would make it. I prayed for a babysitter and then i asked Ella if she could stay with one of my brothers while I left for a while.

A huge fit ensued. I sat on the stairs and thought my plan was just out of reach. Again. With Ella still sobbing and begging me not to leave, I thought of Grandma. I asked her if she wanted to play over with Grandma Mag. She wiped her tears and smiled big so I called Grandma who seemed more than happy to have her over. A few days later we got a thank-you card from Grandma. She did the favor and we got the thank-you. How I love my Grandma Mag.



































Kaden Boy is having a birthday this week. When in all the world did this happen? Teenager, I don't get it? He is handsome and smart and fun. I will never, never stop missing my first little baby but I am so excited for everything that's coming. I loved being a teenager and I love being around teenagers and now I will have one of my very own. That's cool.
























Last year for thanksgiving the kids and I constructed a huge blessings chain that we hung around the house. Amid all the chaos of life right now (too much to even go into) I told the kids we were postponing the chain until we have a house to hang it in. But that doesn't mean I don't have a long, long list. So thankful for them...
























For these.











For this.

















And most especially for Him.



































Happy Thanksgiving and happy scripture time with your little turkeys!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Your house is beautiful. I'm so excited for you to be closer and have a place of your own again.

Post a Comment