Monday, December 10, 2012

A Lesson from Jared's Brother

 
I learned so much at church yesterday. It was just one of those days that almost everything that was said fit into my life somewhere. My sweet Branson is always on my mind. He seems to struggle more than my others and I worry. Scott or I have individual time with him each night. We talk, read Scriptures and pray with him. This is way more of a challenge than it sounds like. There is always so much to do, messes to clean up, homework to finish and sometimes I really dont want to give up that time.  But he needs it and it is just one small bit of the work we do for him.

I love the story of the brother of Jared and the barges, I thought I knew all the lessons in it but yesterday I found another. Awesome!

When the brother of Jared realized that there would be no light in the barges while they were crossing the entire ocean he took his problem to the Lord and the Lord just said, "well what do you want me to do?"

22. And he cried again unto the Lord saying: O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?
23. And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire.

 After that Jared came up with an idea and went to work. He climbed a high mountain, found some rocks, molten them and made sure they were clear and transparent.

 1 And it came to pass that the brother of Jared, (now the number of the vessels which had been prepared was eight) went forth unto the mount which they called the mount Shelem because of its exceeding height, and did molten out of a rock sixteen small stones; and they were white and clear, even as transparent glass and he did carry them in his hands upon the top of the mount.

I bet all of that work took a long time. I bet there was way more involved in it than what it seems like when we read that one verse.

After he had done the work he took the rocks back to the Lord and asked Him to touch them that they would shine.

4 And I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man; therefore touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth in darkness; and they shall shine forth unto us in the vessels which we have prepared, that we may have light while we shall cross the sea.
5 Behold, O Lord, thou canst do this. We know that thou art able to show forth great power, which looks small unto the understanding of men.

And it was then that I learned, my mind opened up and I felt hope and assurance.  We have a problem. I keep asking the Lord for a solution but yesterday I realized that I already have the solution. It's work and it's love and it takes time. There are exceedingly high mountains to climb and rocks to molten. All the different things that Scott and I do to help our sweet man are work! But when we've done all of that work we can take it all back to the Lord and ask Him to touch it.

When Relief Society was over I had Cali under one arm and my huge over stuffed church bag in the other. Ella was handing me her papers from class and her shoes. Branson came down the hall and without a word peeled my bag from my shoulder and carried it out for me. He is so good , I love him so much and someday when my work of raising him and loving him and teaching him is over, the Lord will touch his life and it will shine forth in the darkness for others to follow.
























I'm certain of it.
I love the scriptures! I love the gospel,  it is all so simple but so full of hope and so true that it makes the burden of life bearable and even beautiful.

I am so blessed to have it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment