Monday, February 4, 2013

Kaden Time

Yesterday, a normal school day, I braced myself for the after school rush. My house goes from quiet and still to complete pandemonium between the minutes of 3:29 and 3:30. A round of snacks were made and devoured, Branson rushed to change and then we ran out the door to get him to gym. When I came back through the door Kaden was at the kitchen table snapping circuits together, building a little radio. He alternated between the circuits and the piano all afternoon and into the evening while I cooked dinner.

We laughed at Cali's silly nature and we talked about the great new friends he has made on our street. I told him, like I always do, about my testimony and my hopes that He will keep reading his scriptures, saying his prayers and preparing for a life of faith.  He loved my honey lime enchiladas and during his second helping he told me that they tasted like restaurant food.

I felt so happy that he was there with me. I was glad that he wasn't shut up in his bedroom or off running around with friends or doing homework. I enjoyed every moment we spent together that day and I felt very keenly aware that my time with him is brief. For Kaden, the hour glass has tipped in favor of growing up, leaving me on the other side now. But I do still have some time.

He is still mostly mine. And gosh, I can't help but adore who he is becoming.

Remember when Christopher Robin said this to Pooh Bear?

If ever there is a tomorrow when were not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think, but the most important thing to remember is that even when we are apart, I will always be with you.

I think this is pretty close to the message Heaven gave us when we left it and I want Kaden to remember it too as he enters this full-on teenager phase that leads, inevitably, to ALL GROWN UP.

And I want to remember to really savor those quiet moments when he feels that there is nowhere better to be than with his Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment