Thursday, March 21, 2013

On Being Unbusy



An afternoon nap with Ella





































We are nearing the end of our two week spring break. It has been a good one. I think it felt especially good to me because last spring break Cali was just barely one year old and still napping twice a day and the spring break before that she was a newborn. Having big kids PLUS babies is a unique parenting challenge that I really struggle with.

But I did pretty good this time mixing all-day adventures, that required missed naps, with days at home. We have such good neighbors and so even on our days at home the kids were happy running from house to house with friends.

I took the kids to a fun pool today-more like a mini water park if you ask me. I chased Cali around and watched the kids having a ball and I thought about this:

“Isn’t it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an accomplishment or sign of a superior life. -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf 

I see this all around me but is it embarrassing to admit?--I am not really that busy.  I'm just not. The other day I was on a Moms website and I came across a whole system related to helping you get your emails and phone calls under control. I had to laugh at myself a little because my only thought was, "I must not be that important because I don't have that many emails or phone calls to deal with."

Sure I have a busy day now and then but for the most part I reserve my time and energy for these 5 growing souls in my home. It was pretty awesome that during the 2 week break I...

took them hiking
took them to the lake
took them swimming twice
built a "water park" in our drive way
had friends over
had a cousin sleep over
went to the park
sat by the tub and snapped pics of my bathing beauties Cali and Ella
made homemade snowcone flavoring
made fun breakfast meals like German pancakes and Cinnamon rolls
made cookies twice
played out in the street with neighbors till the sun went down (many times)
napped one whole afternoon away with Cali and Ella
Colored and colored more with Ella

Pretty sweet right? Not being busy meant that I got to pack a whole lot of good times into my short two week break with my kids. Not being that busy meant that we slept in and took naps and watch the sun go down. Not being that busy meant that I got to see the way Kaden and Branson STILL like to make-up little battles and turn them into an action movie with their IPods. Not being that busy meant that me and the girls took lots of walks and made lots of good food.

I am sure that my lack of busyness relates heavily to not being very talented, or educated or employable or needed by very many people outside my 4 walls. I guess I'm OK with that. And maybe my "badge of honor" is the lack of all those things.

This is what President Uchtdorf said about the kind of life Christ lived.

"When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time. If we fail to give our best personal self and undivided time to those who are truly important to us, one day we will regret it. Let us resolve to cherish those we love by spending meaningful time with them, doing things together, and cultivating treasured memories.”

I stink at a whole lot of things but in this one spot--the spot of giving my time to my family--I think I am doing alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment