Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Holy Week Handouts

Easter was wonderful wasn't it! I just love Easter and I was especially determine this year to make it matter. I want so much for my children to know and love The Savior. This year I put together Holy Week handouts for the kids. Every night of Holy Week we sat down together and discussed the events leading up to the Resurrection. It did not go perfectly perfect, there were a few nights where I got rolled eyes and "another lesson!" comments but overall I am so glad that I spent the time to make this happen. I am laying it all out here for whoever would like to have the information and also for my own record so I can make it a yearly tradition.

First of all I can not take all the credit for the handouts themselves, I found them online here and was so thankful to whoever made them. It saved me so much time and they were perfect for what I had cooked up in my head. At the end of each devotional we sent them to do their own scripture study by looking up each of the scriptures on their card.

Day 1- Sunday- The Triumphal Entry. I gave them each a white hankie to go with this card to represent "Hosanna". This is what Christ's followers shouted as He returned to the city, it means Praise to our King. The hankies were 6 for $3.00 in the Men's section at WalMart, you can also get pretty lace ones at the distribution center.






































Day 2-Monday-Cleansing the Temple. I gave them the card and a picture of the temple (not pictured). We talked about the sacred nature of the temple and the important work that goes on there. You can find very inexpensive prints of various temples at Deseret Book.






































Day 3-Tuesday-Taught in Parables. On this day Jesus taught His followers and disciples important principals using parables. We gave them each a dollar and focused on the parable of the talents. I also emphasized to the kids that on this day Jesus foretold of His own betrayal and crucifixion. We talked about how if Jesus really wanted to He could have just fled but He stayed and faced what was to come.

Day 4-Wednesday-Since there is no record in the scriptures of what Christ did on this day it is assumed that He was in Bethany resting and preparing for what was to come. We gave the kids new PJ's and talked about the things we need to do to prepare for trials that may come in our lives. I think a new pillow or pillow case would also be good too.

Day 5-Thursday-This day had 2 cards one for the Last Supper and one for The Atonement. For the Last Supper, we learned about the things that happened there and I gave them each a small tube of foot scrub to represent Jesus washing the disciples feet. (in the lotions section at Walmart) I teared up right through the part when Peter says, "Thou shalt never wash my feet." Jesus answers If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me." And then Peter says, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head." I just love that part and I loved explaining what that meant.
The second card for Thursday was for the Atonement. At first I wasn't going to put anything with this one but then I decided to give each of them one of the cups from the set of china that I inherited from my Grandma. We talked about the symbolism of "The Cup" that Jesus spoke of and how He let Heavenly Fathers will be done even though it was so very difficult. You can find all kinds of cute little glass cups at the dollar store.
Day 6-Friday-Also had two cards. This was for the Betrayal and the Trial. I gave them 30 silver Hersey kisses to divide between them. 30 and silver to represent the 30 pieces of silver that Judas betrayed Jesus for and kisses because Jesus was betrayed with a kiss.
Day 7-Good Friday-The Crucifixion. I wanted to be careful and gentle about how we talked about The Crucifixion. This part of the story really scared me when I was little so I wanted to be sensitive. We talked carefully about how Jesus was treated and how He was placed on a cross between two thieves. We also talked about who was there and we talked about how forgiving the Savior was (forgive them for they know not what they do) and how thoughtful He was toward Mary His Mother. We decided to attach a letter for each child with our testimonies.
The second card for Friday was the burial. I gave them a stone to represent the closed tomb.



Day 7-Saturday-The Jewish Sabbath. I gave them Easter Egg Dye with this card and we used Saturday as our "Easter Bunny" day. All the fluff of Easter that the kids love but we still talked about what the followers of Christ may have been feeling on this day.

Day 8-Sunday-The Resurrection. I was so excited for this day. First we did a little review and then we talked about the events of that first Easter morning. I sobbed right through it! I gave them each a tiny white box, it was empty except for a strip of paper with the words, "He is not here, but is risen!". We watched "He is Risen" from lds.org. Here is the link: He is Risen


I loved this week! What a blessing it is to be able to teach and share these real and essential events with my children. This is not just an interesting story that we tell it was REAL, it HAPPENED. This will definitely be a yearly tradition. I want to get them each a keep sake box so that when they are grown they will have a little collection of hankies and stones and cups and little white boxes.
At the end of the video "He is Risen", is the scripture

That Ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and believing ye might have life through His name. John 20:31

And this is why I want to keep this as a yearly Easter tradition that my children might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

Because He is. He really is.

2 comments:

mama bear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mama bear said...

What a great idea! Wish I'd had something like this when my kids were little--will have to pass this on for my grandkids. You continue to amaze and inspire me.

Post a Comment