Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Some Preachin and a Pool

These last months have renewed my resolve to teach my children what is right and what is wrong. Oh this world! This world is so full of garbage--it's a garbage tsunami of filth that wants to spill right in through the windows and doors  (T.V.'s and computers) of my home and crush my children.

Go ahead and try, I say.

Not while I still have air in my lungs. And even after I am dead and gone I will STILL do anything in my power to protect my children from the endless onslaught of evil that the world is peddling and passing off as "entertainment" and "trendy" and "in style" and "normal" and "adventurous" and "freedom".

Give me a break. The world is so full of deceit making what is good and virtuous seem close minded and old fashion. It's infuriating to a Mother that wants her children to know "to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26).

With so many "sources" scheming for their minds and hearts I will make my voice the loudest. And I wont stop ever.

I will keep logging off the computers, I will keep changing the channel when some of my kids say, "Mom that was fine." As if making fun of adults and constantly insulting your friends and having a boyfriend when you are 12 and mocking your parents behind their back is "fine." And I swear that is the sum total of what TV has to offer these days. So aggravating.

No way, not as long as I'm in charge. Call me paranoid I don't care. Remember when L. Tom Perry said this:

We need to make our homes a place of refuge from the storm, which is increasing in intensity all about us. Even if the smallest openings are left unattended, negative influences can penetrate the very walls of our homes.

Well it's true. Turn everything off and go outside and play.

End of sermon.

Whew! Sometimes I just have to do a little preachin.

When we first moved to this house Scott and I budgeted for the possibility of building a pool. I agonized over this decision. I prayed for a solid month to know if it was a good decision for our family. Pools are expensive, they are dangerous and they are in NO WAY necessary. I went back and forth with pros and cons and Scott patiently waited for me to feel comfortable with the idea even though he had gotten his answer.

In July we broke ground. And after 5 weeks of workers and messes in the yard we are finished. It is beautiful. More than I could have ever dreamed up and a wonderful place to gather my kiddos for the afternoon. I have missed having a backyard! When we were fixing up our old house to get it on the market, the one place that I could not go was the backyard. I could not step foot out there without crying. I have so many precious memories with my children in that little yard that it was just too much. I could not be more thankful for the chance to start those memory making days all over again now in our new yard.

I want to be the influence my children are feeling. Not the TV or the computer. I want to be their "best friend" and I want to be the listening ear and the comforting hand. I don't need a pool to do that but I am sure thankful to have it as a tool.

It has been so much fun already. I don't have very many pictures because every time we go out there I just want to play and swim with them. But I have a few.



Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. -The Family: A Proclamation to the World

I love it when wholesome recreational activities include me with wet mascara smeared under my eyes, doing cannonballs and playing Marco Polo with my kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment