Thursday, December 19, 2013

Weather Man

Almost two years ago Brylee drew me a picture that I have kept all this time. It is of me laying in the grass.




































I used to love to go out back with the kids and lay in the yard while they ran around me. Life seemed slower then and my kids seemed to stay home more. They were off playing less and had less homework. I love the happy face that she drew and the bare feet. That little colored pencil lady seems so calm and peaceful. I have been trying to remember this image as Christmas approaches and the busyness, messes and errands start to feel overwhelming. I know that if I don't feel calm then my kids probably wont either. If it weren't for Scott's naturally calm demeanor these busy weeks would probably get the better of me. I love this quote by Haim Ginott for teachers. It applies just as strongly to parents if not more so. I added the parenthesis.

“I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom (home). It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher (parent), I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.”

Scott's birthday was last week and we loved getting to celebrate him! Scott is so good at setting a climate of love in our home. He wrestles with Kaden, plays pets shops and makeup with the little girls, he talks Branson through gym routines and counts his mushroom circles. And last week when Brylee brought home a hand written attempt at making a 5th grade newsletter, he took it to work and made photo copies enough for her to pass around. Those photo copies made her feel like she had come up with a 5 star publication. Even as we sang happy birthday to him, I watched as his only concern was making it fun for his kids-his work tie still plopped on the table, symbolic to me of everything he does for our family.  He is definitely an instrument of inspiration to us!

























Happy Birthday Scott! I am sure glad your mine.

  

2 comments:

Anderson Adventures said...

I love that quote and I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband!

Anderson Adventures said...

I love that quote and I'm so glad you have such a wonderful husband!

Post a Comment