Friday, January 3, 2014

Start, Finish, Repeat

The scriptures and I had a conversation last night. I mean I wasn't really saying anything but they were talking to me and when the scriptures talk, one should listen. They talked so firmly that I even sat down in the first morning light coming from my window and listened to them again. Oh Abinadi. Brave, brave Abinadi. The courage there is really just something to behold.

Anyway.

Abinadi was boldly and confidently telling King Noah and his minions what is what. My mind exploded with pictures of a story I have read many times but somehow this time it WAS REAL. This really happened and holy cow and oh my and all of that! I wondered if Abinadi and his brave soul had any doubts going in or if he had put those terrifying doubts away long before he stood there, his face aglow, facing death without flinching and evil without fear. Was his faith so solid and his vision so extended beyond the here and now that fire and death seemed small in comparison?




























And then the if only. If only a shard of that faith was inside of me. Oh I could do stuff with that. But here is where I felt sure--sure that Abinadi earned every ounce of that huge faith. Sure that he probably had spent a life time doing hard things and preparing for the day that he would need courage so solid that a whole army of King Noahs could not stop him. Sure that I want my children to know about Abinadi and sure that reading the scriptures with them is worth any inconvenience.

A few days before Christmas I sat on the end of Kaden's bed like I always do and read the last page of the Book of Mormon with my kids. We had read every page together for the second time and it was a priceless feeling. I am pretty sure that most days--most of them weren't listening. I am pretty sure that most days they were glad when our morning scriptures was over. And you better bet that at times I was glad when it was over too.  But someday when they need huge faith I hope that all the little bits of courage that we dripped into their souls morning by morning, verse by verse and page by page will solidify into a giant golden testimony that is immovable--like Abinadi-glowing and powerful.

The very next morning we started over. Because I want Abinadi to talk to my kids. (And Nephi and Jacob and Alma and Moroni and Jared and Ammon...) I love the scriptures and I am so thankful for the priceless counsel to read them with my children everyday.

If you will read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God. Pres. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment