Friday, June 12, 2015

Summer Lessons







































In case you are wondering, summer is going great over here. So far this has been my easiest, most low key summer ever. We swim, fold the laundry, watch movies, catch butterflies, eat and nap. Brylee and I have made a few grocery store runs to get ingredients and Kaden and Branson are working hard on merit badges and Duty to God. I am catching up on Primary and house projects. Branson finished his 50 mile hike. WHAT? Yes, a 50 mile hike, and now Brylee is off to girls camp and Kaden to EFY. I miss my kids when they are gone but it gives me a good chance to give a little extra love and attention to the ones that are home.

This may sound a bit harsh but I am keeping the friend interaction to a minimum this year. My older kids are all spending more than one week away from us this summer on different church and friend trips so I am using the time they are home to keep them close to me. So far there have been no complaints from them and they all seem to enjoy family time (almost) as much as I do.

I have had a few tender experiences with Branson lately. And here is where I will give a little tip. Utilize your driving time with your kids. Put that big kid in the front seat next to you, hold their hand and wait for it because they WILL start talking to you. And then one day when you least expect it THEY will reach for YOUR hand and it will be awesome.

Branson came home Friday night beaten and weary from a 5 day 50 mile hike. Scott was able to drive up Friday night and meet them at the end of the trail. The hike was pretty brutal. On Saturday night Branson and I ended up in the car together, the little girls in their own world in the back seat. Branson reached for my hand and then laid his cheek on the back side of our clasp.

"Mom, guess what pushed me the most to finish the hike?"

"What?" I said.

"Knowing that Dad was going to be there at the end."

Such a tender expression of love and in such Branson fashion. I thought of the song our kids are learning in Primary. "Fathers are so special, with a very special love, they watch us and protect us, guide us and direct us..."

I am so thankful for Scott and for my own Dad-both put their heart and soul into their kids and even other peoples kids that need it. And most of all I am thankful for a Heavenly Father that will be there at the end but who is really there with us all along the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment