Monday, July 20, 2015

My Hero: Smoothie Edition































One awesome thing that has occurred since Scott went full time into Real Estate is that we get to parent together more than we ever have. For most of the nearly 16 years that we have been parents I have been the main caregiver. I did all the up-in-the-nights, I did all the driving, teaching, scripture reading, cooking, feeding, bathing, activities, doctors appointments, homework and chores. Scott's work was so demanding that he did little else at home than sleep. Occasionally, he had slower weeks and he was able to be with us more but I got used to fixing bike tires, putting together new toys, throwing birthday parties and pretty much every other aspect of parenting alone. I was always so thankful for Scott's hard work that meant it was ME caring for our kids and not a babysitter but I missed him and I was stretched thin meeting all those little needs 24/7.

The one image (amid thousands) in my mind that illustrates this best for me was when Kaden was barely 3 and Brylee and Branson were 6 months old and they were SICK. Not only had they picked up the RSV virus but I was so sick with bronchitis that I could hardly move. I didn't even know I had bronchitis until 2 weeks later when I finally made it to the doctor. I had to get the twins into the pediatrician and it was raining. No pouring. The parking lot at the doctors office was packed. I couldn't find anything even close to the entrance. I parked, situated blankets over the two infant car seats, pulled Kaden out of his car seat and explained to him that as soon as I set him out of the car he was to hang on to my back pocket (He was good at this because he had to be, I only had 2 hands and they were always full of twins). I set him out, he hung on to my pocket and I lifted the two carriers out and we sloshed through the rain into that stinkin doctor appointment. When I say I wish I could go back and give that girl a hug I am not kidding. How I wish I could tell her that she wasn't as alone as she felt. It is so much easier to see in hindsight that you probably had your very own crew of angels helping because how the heck else did you do it?

The good news is that amid all the HARD and lonely of those years there was certainly a lot of joy. And the next piece of good news is that with a new career Scott is hands on and available. He still works long hard hours but he chooses when and where and that has been a blessing beyond my wildest dreams.

Scott makes our green smoothies in the morning and then he sits with Cali, our wants-to-eat-nuthin-but-sugar girl and coaxes her through an entire cup of veggies. He is a master at it. This morning he took Kaden for a workout, he didn't miss a single swim meet all summer and he spent 3 days last week at scout camp with Branson, Ella told me while he was gone that she "just isn't comfortable going to sleep without Daddy."

I'm with Ella.

By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. The Family: A Proclamation to the World

I am so thankful for Scott, he has hero status around here. He is REAL man, who is devoted heart and soul to his family.






2 comments:

Sara & My 5 Little Ducklings said...

I hope this comment shows up. I keep trying and it gives me an error. Anyhow, I haven't stopped by your blog in a while. Life has gotten away from me. I saw your Web address today in your Instagram invite and came by to read as I lay here nursing Quincy Lyn in a quiet house where everyone else is asleep. I love seeing your family and reading your posts. I pray to someday have the love and devotion that you have with Scott. It is simply beautiful. I bought the girls new dresses the other day. . . I'm ready to go to church with you. Is the invitation still open? Love ya sister cousin!

Sara & My 5 Little Ducklings said...

I hope this comment shows up. I keep trying and it gives me an error. Anyhow, I haven't stopped by your blog in a while. Life has gotten away from me. I saw your Web address today in your Instagram invite and came by to read as I lay here nursing Quincy Lyn in a quiet house where everyone else is asleep. I love seeing your family and reading your posts. I pray to someday have the love and devotion that you have with Scott. It is simply beautiful. I bought the girls new dresses the other day. . . I'm ready to go to church with you. Is the invitation still open? Love ya sister cousin!

Post a Comment