Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Prophet of God























I have never met Thomas S. Monson. But oh how I love him. My heart sank watching his stamina start to fail as he spoke in conference. I wonder how many thousands of times he has stood at a pulpit to teach, comfort or lead? I have watched all of President Monson's conference addresses and he has always been strong and powerful and it breaks my heart to see him wear down. He has used up his whole life doing good, being kind and lifting and helping others along the way.

One of my favorite stories about President Monson is this one from Elder Holland,

I pay a personal tribute to President Thomas Spencer Monson. I have been blessed by an association with this man for 47 years now, and the image of him I will cherish until I die is of him flying home from then–economically devastated East Germany in his house slippers because he had given away not only his second suit and his extra shirts but the very shoes from off his feet. “How beautiful upon the mountains [and shuffling through an airline terminal] are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace.” More than any man I know, President Monson has “done all he could” for the widow and the fatherless, the poor and the oppressed.

He is gentle and powerful all at the same time. He is amazing. With out him the would not have, 

Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. 

The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it, the present is here, live it.

One of Gods greatest gift to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final. 

As we seek Christ, as we find Him, as we follow Him, we shall have the Christmas spirit, not for one fleeting day each year but as a companion always. 

A man never stands taller than when He is on His knees.

And so many more, much more bits of truth and wisdom. I wish I could have stood behind him on conference Sunday to hold him steady. I wish I could tell him how much I love and sustain him. I wish I could tell him that his picture is framed in our living room and that when I am tiding up or snuggling a kid on the couch, or gathering everyone in for family night that I look at his picture and feel like here is right here encouraging me along. I will most likely never personally meet President Monson, but I don't need to because I already know that he is God Prophet on the earth and I love him heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment