Thursday, May 12, 2016

GW+JW

Mothers' Day was a little hard for me this year. Too many emotions floating around and little challenges that crowded the spaces of my heart. But I was able to attend my parents ward to hear my Dad speak in church and I love to hear my Dad speak, he has a gift for teaching the gospel and I love to benefit from his talent. After that meeting I met my brother at my parents house so that we could give my Mom a special gift that my brothers had been working on for some time.

My Grandpa grew up on the White Mountain Apache Indian reservation in northern Arizona. His family had a small ranch there, with corals and a saddle shed. I can remember playing there when I was a little girl, we would have a picnic and dig around for Indian pottery and then drive away back up the dirt road. 66 years ago my Grandpa carved his brand 7G, his Dad's brand a lazy 8 and my favorite part, his initials and my grandma's GW + JW--into the side boards of the saddle shed. This picture of my handsome Grandpa was probably taken by or near the saddle shed.






































6 months ago my brother went out to the ranch and pulled the boards off the saddle shed and had them made into a frame. When it was done my brother emailed me a picture of it....I sat down and cried.







































It turned out so beautifully. I feel such a connection to my Grandparents. My Grandma was a lady and my Grandpa a cowboy, they were humble, faithful and hardworking. They were never rich but they were steady and good and would give you the shirt off their backs. They are a lot like this frame, they endured through sunlight and rain for all of their lives and have left behind a legacy of faith and hardwork.

I love them and I love the gospel of Jesus Christ that binds families together forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment