Friday, September 16, 2016

Best or Just Good?





























Our older three are running us ragged with their school sports right now. I love it so much and they are so fun to watch and then I go home and want to cry at the exhaustion and the dinner at 9pm and the late night homework and the never-full tummies and the sore muscles.

Yesterday I was really hoping that spending so much of our discretionary time on sports is a good choice. Is it a "best" in the whole good, better, best question of things? I mean I am really good at arguing both sides of this question.

There is just something so awesome about working physically toward a goal. Sweating and feeling your heart pound is, to me, just as good for your body as it is for your soul. Learning to deal with disappointment and be happy for the kid that did better than you is a skill some adults don't even have. And learning to lift and encourage those that you did better than is also invaluable. Being part of a team and seeing your parents and siblings cheer you on from the stands is all good. But that's not to say that it can at times become all consuming and that's something to think about. I am glad sports seasons come to an end and that vacations get scheduled. I am glad that I get up at the crack of dawn to make sure those "best" things like family scriptures and prayers happen everyday. And I am thankful to be these kiddos biggest fan.




No comments:

Post a Comment