Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Christmas Card and Letter































Dear Friends and Family,

Time seems to be picking up its speed as we go along and sometimes I look at the faces in our family picture and wonder who in the world those people are. I had a bunch of babies around here not that long ago and now they are nowhere to be found.

As everyone has decided to grow up we find ourselves doing more than ever. More driving (Kaden) more dating (Kaden) more homework (everyone) more volleyball (Branson) more cheer (Brylee) more swimming and racing (Brylee & Kaden) more losing teeth (Cali and Ella) more Eagle projects (Kaden and Branson) more driving people all over town (me) more braces actually coming off (Brylee) more Real Estate (Scott) more Scoutmastering (Scott) more ward prelude organist (Kaden) more coaching (me) more spelling lists (Cali and Ella) more Pioneer Trekking (Kaden, Brylee, Scott and me) more going off to all day school (Cali) more laundry (everyone) more grocery shopping (me) more choir (Ella)  more breaking bones (Branson) and more-more-more. All this more is a little much, I think.

Earlier in the year a friend of mine called me, she wasn’t feeling well and hadn’t been for some time. Her husband was working long hours and then trying to come home and clean the house and do homework with the kids. Through a lump in her throat she timidly asked if Branson could come mow her lawn. I answered with a quick, “absolutely I’ll send him over right after football practice!”

And then I panicked. 

I wondered how in the world I was going to break this little bit of news to Branson. Branson was in the middle of football season. After school, he attended 2 hour practices in 100+ degree weather and I was sure that the very last thing he would want to do when he got home was mow someone’s lawn. But thanks to me he was committed and I held my breath as I sheepishly called my sweaty, over heated, worn out, practice-tired boy.

“Um Branson, my friend is sick, her husband is overloaded with work and the kids and the house, and they really need their lawn mowed. Kaden has swim team and that just leaves you. Do you think you can do that for them?” 

His answer has stayed with me all these months later.

"Just mow and edge? That’s it? I can do more than that."

When Jesus visited Jerusalem during the feast of the tabernacles, the people expressed various opinions of who Jesus was. Some, knowing of His miracles asked, “When Messiah cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?”  But Jesus had already done more. He had healed the sick, fed the 5000, turned water into wine and walked on the water. He was The Messiah that they were waiting for and He would yet still do more. More loving and leading and teaching and serving and lifting and healing and raising. And then He would face the garden and the cross, and He would leave the tomb empty on the third day, doing more for all of us than any man had ever done before or would ever do again.

As all the more of life seems to get bigger and bigger we are trying to remember that we can do more than that. We can love more and serve more, we can forgive more and care more. In all the more of everyday life and of growing up we can be more of what Jesus wants us to be.  

Our more this year came as Kaden spent three days with his friends this summer in downtown Phoenix talking to and helping the homeless. It came as Cali went off to school and quickly developed a talent for giving away her Kindergarten treasures like markers, crayons, recess snacks and Kindercash until she was literally left with an empty supply box. It came as Brylee joined her schools Best Buddy program and has learned to love those at her school who need it most. More came as Branson organized Christmas gifts and donations for families in need, it came as Ella has used her beautiful singing voice to share the gospel and more has come in the ordinary of everyday life as we are trying to be more of what He was.

More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy
More, Savior, like thee.

We are so thankful for all the more that came into the world on that first Christmas night. We are so thankful that He walked the Earth, lived a perfect life and provided a way for us to be more and have more than we can ever imagine.
Mild he lays His glory by, Born that man no more may die. 

With more honor and praise for Him at Christmas and always, Love The Heywood's  


No comments:

Post a Comment